Monday, September 8, 2008

In the desert

I had the most amazing time in Ayers Rock/Uluru this weekend - thank god I didn't take the advice of everyone who said it wasn't worth going there! However many times you've seen the big old rock in postcards, in Lonely Planets, it is still incredible to see it right up in front of you. The best bit was seeing it in the pitch black, this enormous hunk of dark.

But anyway, this is a food blog. As you would expect in such a touristy place in literally the middle of nowhere, the choices are pretty limited, and the prices rather high. I stayed at at a hostel which modelled itself on a 1860's outback lodge, which included a self-cook barbeque area in the evenings accompanied by cheesy live "entertainment". When I first arrived, I stuck with the simple option, and opted for an "full outback burger":



From the top - cheese, fried egg, onions, bacon, beefburger, pineapple, beetroot, tomato, lettuce. Phew! And surprisingly good! I must say that pineapple really has no place in a burger, but I was completely converted to the beetroot. Having said that, this year (thanks to Abel & Cole) has been the year where I've discovered beetroot, a shame it looks like you've murdered someone in your kitchen whenever you try to cook it.

My hostel place also offered an "Australiana" buffet promising "authentic outback tucker", so how could I resist? It was certainly an experience, but at $47 per person, not sure one I would recommend:

On my count, 9 different animals died for this plate of food: squid, crocodile, mussels, prawns, emu, camel, kangaroo, barramundi, and the humble chicken - and for once I understand why the more unusual animals are not eaten more widely in the world! The smoked kangeroo was really very good (I am a definite convert, sorry Skips), but everything else was really pretty nasty, particularly the emu sausage. But then it was probably my fault in thinking that overcooked meat from a buffet would ever taste good.

This weekend for once wasn't about the food though. Best meal of the weekend was probably the 4 Nice biscuits I scoffed with my cup of tea, watching the sunrise hit the rock...

No comments: