Sunday, October 12, 2008

Perfect Sydney brunch

I am very lucky to live right by Potts Point in Sydney, an area with tons of great restaurants, with Challis Avenue being probably one of my favourite streets. I have raved about Sardine Room on here before, and have recently returned for a last cuddle with Angie the owner at my favourite dinner place on Challis Ave, but wanted to rave also about my favourite brunch/lunch place.

Fratelli Paradiso is a teeny little place, with tables leaking onto the pavement on a sunny day. It is slightly imposing in that the entire menu is written in Italian on the big blackboards, and the waiters spend about 2 seconds explaining it to you, but everything here is so simple, so fresh, but with enough of a twist.

At a recent lunch here, I was completely wowed by a salad of prawns with mozzarella. You're probably thinking, "is that it??", but god was this good. Maybe it's because I've been deprived of decent mozzarella in Sydney, but it was a perfect example of not mucking about too much with great ingredients. Super yummy mopped up with a bit of bread.


We also tried their scallopini of veal that lunchtime - I really need to learn how Italians cook this dish, I am addicted to it. It tastes as if the veal is slightly steeped in lemon juice, but I'm sure it is more than just squeezing lemon over it. Again, this was just simple, with a bit of spinach on the side.
Ah, if only there was such a place 10 mins walk from home in London... maybe I can sneak in one more visit before I leave Sydney...

No comments: