Sunday, July 12, 2009

All Star Lanes

My last Uncle B case team event was an extremely special affair. I am so going to miss these paid-for work jollies, and even better, it was Max's 25th birthday. Chris had come up with some complicated voting system for what we were going to do, but we ended up going bowling, with Jon still promising to have a BBQ in his garden sometime soon (I shall hold him to that, don't worry).

Chris went completely crazy with the decorations at All Star Lanes in Russell Square. They were extremely accommodating and brought out the cake as needed and everything. But I think the waitresses soon got tired with all the balloons everywhere:

I do love the concept of the place, where even your bowling shoes are very 50s American-esque. However, I do think they take the piss a little with the pricing of the food. A steak is at around £18-20, and comes with a sprig of watercress. I went for a striploin, which I guess is a younger brother to a sirloin? Anyone who can enlighten me to American cuts of beef is welcomed to:I do like it though that you can order macaroni cheese with your steak here - one of the very few Americanisms that I wholly embrace. I also tried a bit of Maxy's enormous rack of ribs:

I shall move on from the food as it's quite obvious you come to All Star Lanes for the cocktails and slightly drunken bowling. We made a mistake of ordering some 'zombies', which people are limited to ordering 2 each! They were not nice!

And when it came down to the actual bowling, there were some real surprises. Chris looked like an early leader with some very stylish bowling, but it was Maxy who swept the floor with his amazing consistency. I managed to get the highest score I've ever got at bowling! But more practice needed methinks:

What I neglect to include here is that we also played a half game after this, where I scored a grand total of 1. Yes, 1! Maxy managed 84! Never mind... I blame those zombies...

No comments: