Monday, November 23, 2009

Still the best roast in London, just

When Meghana asked me to pick a place for dinner on a Saturday for some trendy foodies, I was worried. For some reason, I've had a bit of a mental block with restaurant recommendations recently. I've been revisiting a lot of my favourite haunts recently, and feeling quite mentally tired with being creative. Not being tied to a computer all day long wasting my time on food blogs and websites have also contributed I guess, haha!

We ended up at Le Cafe Anglais, whilst weirdly located in Whiteley's Shopping Centre, always has reliably good food in a wonderful art deco space. I thought the quality of the food would win out over something trendy. And it all got off with a good start as I had my normal pike boudin (which I always seem to have as demonstrated here) and also some of their parmasan custard and anchovy toast for the table.

I have always spied the £5 chicken leg at this place, and finally decided to be a little ungreedy and try it. So simple, it must be amazing for them to include it on the menu. However, I had ordered something else instead, and when I told the waiter (before starters were served), I think I confused the poor man, to the extent that the service completely fell apart after this. A good hour past by after our starter plates had been cleared, and mains nowhere to be seen. We ask the waiter, who insisted there was a 'delay in the kitchen', despite the fact that the neighbouring table had had their mains even though they arrived about 45 mins after us. I suspect the waiter had simply forgot to call the mains away until we reminded him. We sat down at 7:45, but mains were not delivered until about 10:30.

I'm not one for complaining in restaurants, being so British and all, but I was squiffy at this point, so I thought I would have a go at the manager. Even I surprised myself in how aggressive I was, but I can't fault the manager for his response. We were ridiculously fussy ordering the free desserts on offer, and I was a little (just a little) embarrassed when a bottle of dessert wine appeared on the table. I obviously need to be much less worried about other people's feelings and more ballsy in my complaints in future.

Very good recovery then in the end, and I am inclined to say this was a slip up than a regular occurence. The chicken leg, by the way, was probably the best main course I've ever eaten there. Laced with a generous portion of girolles and some very very tasty chicken juices, I do plan to return in the future and just order that, with a nice glass of vino maybe.

No comments: