Monday, May 24, 2010

White rice will not kill you

Whilst I was extremely exasperated with some of the food neurosis of Californians (I've just been reading about how Zooey Deschanel is vegan, and is apparently allergic to soy, gluten, diary, and eggs), I have returned to the UK with more of a focus on the healthy stuff. Here's a little round-up of some of the little healthy establishments I liked lots and some I liked less.

Calling your food shop Beautifull would make some people baulk, but I was surprised to see the number of men inside this cafe in Laurel Heights. I really liked the concept; they sell a huge variety of salads, most of them very interesting, as well as hot food like meatballs, as well as soup noodley type stuff. It is the kind of lunch place I always dreamt of having when I was working on the Strand, even if the prices were a little keen. This was my lunch of salmon fishcake with a red quinoa salad, with roasted pumpkin:

I have been very taken with quinoa since I returned (excellent recipe coming up), but it would not surprise me if they decide that it is carcinogenic after a few years. Actually, I just read up the recipe of the quinoa salad above, and it has Hijiki seaweed in, which apparently is also carcinogenic!

The very first place we went to for dinner after I landed in SF was a gorgeous place called Flour & Water in the Mission. It is a crazily popular place serving Italian/ Mediterranean style food, doing the fresh ingredients cooked well formula that SFians do so well. Again, I was bowled over by the waitress, who disturbingly seemed to want to be our friend. My lovely main course was a ravioli 'doppio': a double filled ravioli with a seafood mix on one side and a pea puree on the other:

One place I liked not so much was Gather in Berkeley. The name summarises the idea of the place, which is to serve food suitable to everyone, from the strictest vegan to the most ferocious carnivore, so that it is a place you can gather your friends. It was packed on the weeknight we went, so obvious there is a demand for these things, and overall the cooking was fine. My pork cheeks were very soft, even if the rhubarb sauce was just a little too sour to go with it:

What did irk me though was some of their descriptions of the food, in particular their 'vegan charcuterie':

It was actually a gorgeous platter of food, including interesting ways with wild mushrooms, broad beans, some of the best vegan food I've had in ages, but why oh why oh why did they have to call it a charcuterie?!?! Just call it a vegan plate!!! Stop trying to be clever with words!!!

So this is the end of my SF postings, hope you enjoyed. I end with one of the best meals I had in SF, with all my favourite Californian things. If someone can tell me what Farmers' Cheese is, and where I may be able to buy it in London, I would be very grateful.

No comments: