Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let's start again

It has been an age since I blogged, there is a huge backlog of photos I've collected over the last few months, but I have been a thoroughly busy bee.

So busy that I can't remember the last time I really cooked at home. So when on Monday I found myself heading home at 9:30pm, even though it's late, I decided to attempt something not particularly complicated but still a little new. I was visiting Cerys and her lovely new baby Eira in Cardiff and was reading Jamie's Italy whilst playing with baby, and found a nice recipe which you can do in the time it takes to boil the pasta. Always my kind of recipe.

Spaghetti with kind of pesto (or spaghetti alla Trapanese according to JO) (serves 1)

125g of spaghetti or linguine
Handful of whole almonds
2 handfuls of fresh basil, leaves picked
1/2 clove garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Handful of cherry tomatoes
Handful of freshly grated parmesan

1. Put the pasta on the boil
2. Dry roast the almonds until it is just coloured. Meanwhile, in a pestle and mortar, smash up the garlic with a little salt, and slowly grind in the basil. Once the almonds are roasted, put in the basil mix and smash up until pretty fine.
3. Lug enough olive oil in the mortar to make it wet enough to coat all of the pasta. Add in the parmesan and mix well.
4. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and squish a little with your hands.
5. Drain the pasta. Using the same pan, add in the tomatoes, pesto, and spaghetti, mix well.
6. Scoff in front of the telly.


No comments: