Monday, November 3, 2008

Farewell Australia

People who know me know that I like lists (I am a perfect J, Myers-Briggs fans), so the following sums up my lovely 4 months in Australia.

1. Favourite place in Sydney

Unsurprisingly, it is a tie between my beloved places Spice I Am and Sardine Room. Favourite thing from Spice I Am was the som tum, and also the duck mussaman curry which is sometimes on on special:

I also really liked their mussel pancake, which unfortunately is only available at lunchtimes:



I shall also really miss Sardine Room and the lovely Angie. If only I had a local restaurant like this back at home! This is the scallops with duck ravioli in a rosemary broth that I had the final time I was there (and yes, that is 8 scallops per portion, servings are huge!):


2. Most funny moment in supermarkets

I avoided supermarkets like the plague in Sydney - they are so awful it even made me miss Sainsbury's! Potentially the worse thing about them is their cheese collection, a sample photo is below:

Apparently "Tasty" means strong cheddar, and "Non-Tasty" is mild - but it did make me giggle every time I saw the signs. I did manage to find proper mozzarella once (obviously not in a supremarket), at $10 a ball (!)

3. Thing I missed most

This is a most silly thing, but frankfurters cannot be found in Sydney (especially not the Hertz brand). You might be asking me why a foodie would be into frankfurters so much - truth is that my lovely dad used to make me a frankfurter omelette every morning before school when I was young (a miracle that I wasn't a enormous as a teenager).

4. Most overrated place

It is a Sydney tradition to go and eat takeaway fish & chips from Doyle's at Watsons Bay, and this I certainly enjoyed (with Jess). But I really did loathe the restaurant Doyle's which is a few doors down the way, which is so overpriced it charges around $35 for a portion of fish & chips. The place is really such in the 70's - here is their lobster mornay (accompanied by retro salad):


5. Most sickly experience

Having to work with Reika and Jess meant that I had an unreasonable amount of exposure to chocolate - even though I'm a girl, I'm really not too fussed about the stuff. Not surprising then, that I was super sick at Max Brenner's chocolate cafe. Their famed hot chocolates contain a lot of sugar, and should not be accompanied by an additional chocolate waffle:

All in all, I thought Sydney had some amazing Asian food (particularly Thai and Vietnamese), but European food is a bit lacking. I was really quite blessed living where I was right next to Potts Point - would definitely recommend that area to foodies thinking of moving to Sydney!

No comments: