Monday, September 21, 2009

Dedication

When it comes to house dedication, I am almost guaranteed to be reduced to tears, and being team leader, I have to somehow not embarrass myself with the speeches they make me do. This time in Nepal, the entire village turned out, with about 100 chairs lined up for the ceremony! I did manage to cry with a little bit of dignity for once.

We had split into two teams, and had become very attached to our homeowners. My demi-team simply referred to our homeowner as Ama, affectionately 'Mother' in Nepali. Her real name is Dhan Maya Karki, who has 2 sons. Her blubbing at the ceremony was my cue to blub also:

The other demi-team worked with Bishnu BK and her family of 4 children - I still don't understand Nepali names, lots of people seemed to have 'BK' as a surname:

And here is the finished houses!!! Almost all built in 4 days:


And here are some pictures of the celebrations. I shall not be posting the video of me trying to dance for obvious reasons:

Us ladies also got henna mehndi:

And we were so adorned with gifts and blessings, three members of my team turned into gnomes:

Probably one of the best house dedications I've been to, and it all underlined for me the big reason I do Habitat.

No comments: