Friday, September 25, 2009

Guardian groans

For a while now I have been despairing at some of the tosh that appears on the Guardian Unlimited website. It seems that their Comment is Free section, as well as the blogging sections are just excuses for really bad, lazy journalism. Writers seem to take pleasure in choosing a populist topic and try and ram holes through them for the sake of it. Thank god I only really come across them when someone else has sent me the link lambasting them.

I read this article on Comment is Free today, by someone raving on about how much they hate cooking. I did wonder whether it was written in the 1960s by some raving feminist for a while, so violent is some of the language, declaring that cooking is "another chore that highlights the futility of life". To be honest, I am not annoyed by the fact that she doesn't like cooking - I completely understand that some people don't get it, quite like how I don't get gardening, or bird watching. What I am annoyed about is how they have managed to get such dross into a national newspaper website. Who reads this nonsense?

The other, non-food related article that has also irked me recently is this one about apparent racism in British advertising. This one is just simply hilarious, and I loathe to repeat the phrase political correctness gurn maaaddd. Scroll down though and read the amount of abuse that is hurled at the guy! Had me in stitches for ages!

No comments: