Sunday, August 17, 2008

A hat is not a star

My neighbour at work, Albert, is Chinese, and a foodie, so it is not surprising that whenever I am in the office, my productivity drops as we spend the whole day talking about eating here and eating there. This weekend, finally, we ate here and there together.

First stop was Salon Blanc in Woolloomooloo, in the same building as my apartment, and was awarded 1 hat from the Sydney Morning Herald. As I've mentioned before, Michelin inspectors don't appear to have come over to Australia yet, so the Aussies have invented their own system - I've been to several hatted restaurants now, can't say the standard is quite the same. (Although trips to Tetsuya's and Quay coming up in October might change my mind)


Despite its name, Salon Blanc is more French/Mediterranean than French - such their starter menu is tapas based. Started with some ok oysters, followed by some very good belly pork - the skin was so crisp it sticks to your teeth (you know, that feeling you get after eating really excellent 焼肉) :
Main for me was a slightly overcooked T-bone veal, with a olive tapenade that didn't quite go, although I am eternally disappointed with veal. I must say the best veal I've ever eaten was actually at Carluccio's (the now ubiquitous chain in London rather than the Neal Street super restaurant) where they cooked it very simply, quite rare, with it seaped in lemon. I seem to eat a lot of veal at Carluccio's - it was also when Simon, my quite strict veggie friend, decided to start eating meat - I'm not sure baby cow was the best choice to start with...

Anyhow, pud was actually very good, a buttermilk pannacotta with stewed rhubarb and blood orange. I think Sydney chefs have twigged that I will order dessert if rhubarb is featured on the menu:


I thank my mum for letting me eat far too many sweets when I was little, and getting it out of my system - I now have a very unsweet tooth and can happily go without pud. However, this is the kind of thing that would make me eat more dessert - the pannacotta had a lovely twang to it, and I love love love stewed rhubarb.

Albert and I (and Jess) also went to Din Tai Fung for my second visit for Sunday lunch. Very disappointed with their Dan Dan Mein ("it's like noodles smothered in satay sauce", said Jess), but loved their Prawn & Chicken dumplings in tangy sauce.

No comments: