Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hurrah for Australian produce

I am pretty negative so far about the quality of Australian food on this blog, and maybe I am being a bit unfair. The quality of the supermarkets are absolutely woeful, wine is atrociously expensive, cheese only comes in "Tasty" and "Non-Tasty" varieties (I still haven't figured what these are by the way, anyone care to enlighten me??), to the extent that I'm looking forward to a trip to Sainsbury's when I return to London.

However, I will put a rebalance back and rave about some of the excellent fresh produce (although you will have to go to a decent deli):
  • Avocados - Australian ones are absolutely lush. Given they are locally grown, you will only find them pretty ripe for eating, I eat about one a week, at least
  • Blood oranges - such a disturbing colour, but so delicious. I managed to drip its blood red juice all down my pyjamas the other day, that will teach me to eat oranges just before bed
  • Cherries - I'm not sure whether these are actually local, but the ones I regularly buy are just fat and juicy unlike the ones back home. Second fruit-related accident this week was me swallowing a cherry whole today, stone and all
  • Japanese pumpkin - ok, not strictly Australian, but widely available and very cheap. I bought a massive hunk for about 40p/80 cents the other day, bargainous
  • Tomatoes - hurrah for tomatoes that actually taste of tomatoes!
  • Prawns - unfortunately I don't have a fishmonger anywhere near me to regularly eat these, but they are huge without compromising on taste here. And also absolutely beautiful to look at - pink with blueish tinges on the tail. Best eaten as sashimi - mmmm!

Big shout out for Fratelli Fresh on Macleay St in Potts Point - absolute pleasure to go round stroking all the beautiful vegetables. And often much cheaper than the terrible Woolworths supermarket right underneath!

No comments: