Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ode to pisco

"If you´re in Chile and you have not been offered a pisco sour, you may have actually been in Argentina", says Lonely Planet, and I for once will post about a drink rather than food. Pisco sours are the most beautiful thing, and I certainly had plenty of them in my month or so in Chile. Here is a beautiful example of a Chilean pisco sour:

There is however, a long debate between the Chileans and the Peruvians as to which country the drink originates from. Apparently the Peruvians have history on their side, but my heart is still with the Chilean version - less froth, more refreshing - although we did have the most potent one in Cusco (I shall not post the less than flattering pictures Clare took of me after I drank the following pisco):

Pisco is definitely best drunk as a part of pisco sour, but I also had a strange concoction of pisco hot chocolate whilst in Puerto Natales, in a cute little shop called Patagonian Dulce. I know I´m not a fan of chocolate, but it really was quite sickly:


But we did love this little inscription at the bottom of their menu!:

Anyway, I´m now in Argentina looking forward to mate and more vino! I loved loved loved Chile though, planning my trip back already!

No comments: