Monday, December 1, 2008

Sorry Ferdinand!!

Well, I have to explain the post title first off. After we finished building in Casablanca, we spent a few days of rest and relaxation in a holiday resort called Casada de las Animas, about an hour and a half hour´s drive from Santiago. We had a great time zip-lining and trekking and not being able to white-water raft there.

But potentially the best thing about it was that we had the most gorgeous encounter with a baby alpaca there. Apparently its parents were taken away and it cried for 2 days (the owners took it to the vet thinking there was something wrong with it, but the vet said he was just sad.) Potentially the cutest thing alive, I called him (although we think it was actually a her), Ferdinand:

Given that I only ever write about food on here, why am I talking about Ferdinand? Well, I´m now in Cusco, Peru, where alpaca can be eaten in almost every restaurant here (guinea pig is also very popular, although very expensive!), so of course I had to try some!!!

The location of the crime was at Chez Maggy, a pizzeria on Gringo Alley. I had my first pisco sour in Peru (not as good as in Chile), and the alpaca was called in a pisco sauce with quinoa on the side. The pisco sauce was rather sweet, and the whole thing tasted a bit like char siu:


I dread to think whether I ate one of Ferdinand´s parents, but I comforted myself with the fact that I had ordered it, and it was tasty, rather than I had ordered it, and it wasn´t tasty. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I await abusive emails from Team Lovin´It upon this news. I miss you all guys!!

2 comments:

Andy Clark said...

Hi Connie,
I promise to check into your blog avidly and promise to post comments.
If I had known you had called him/her Ferdinand I would have made other suggestions at the time but obviously didn't so will let it go now.
You are obsessed with food, aren't you??
Enjoy yourself
Andy

Connie said...

Hi Andy!

He/She is completely a Ferdinand!! I haven´t seen an alpaca anywhere near as cute yet after another few weeks in S America.

Am off to trek around Patagonia next - am a little merry after a few glasses of Carmenere tonight - oh I so don´t to leave Chile!!

Connie xx