Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back in Hong Kong: Day 2 Kau Kee fest

After all that juk, it was amazing I still had room for lunch, but I really did have to make room because we were going to 九記牛腩 Kau Kee on Gough Street!!! This is probably one of the most famous noodle shops in Hong Kong, and apparently frequented by Tony Leung (although I haven't had the very good luck of bumping into him yet). Expect to queue to get in - Brian and I arrived at 12:15 for opening at 12:30, and look at the queue by 12:25 (with Brian looking smug at the start of the line!):


I literally do regularly have dreams about this place, mainly of me being in a taxi and not being quite able to go there. And every time I go, I have 2 bowls. This time though, I decided to experiment and try the curried beef brisket e-noodles:

Hmmm - this was my second bowl, and I regretted deviating from what I knew (profit from the core and all that :p)!!! I agree with Edwin that the curry at 九記 leaves a bit of a funny, almost stinging taste in your mouth - the curry one last night was definitely better. And the brisket in this bowl was ridiculously fatty :(

But it just cements the fact that their clear soup brisket e-noodle is just ammmmmmaaaaazzzzing. Just such a fab combination, and just small enough a portion to make you want that extra bowl. Although I am getting swayed by Wes' idea of just having the soup and noodles instead - maybe when I am back in March. Anyway, here is my stuff of dreams!!!:

Gah, this has made me hungry now!!

No comments: