Sunday, June 15, 2008

Nice pieces of cow

I live in one of the largest wooden structures in Australia, and apparently it is a $250 fee if my smoke alarm goes off and the fire brigade are called - so my decision to cook steak in my apartment was a risk! (although I do remember the days of Teddy Hall when we would deliberately set fire to sausages in Kelly IV so that firefighters would come and rescue us)


A waiter recently mocked me for asking for a rib-eye to be done rare, and I have actually been converted to eating rib-eyes a little more cooked. So I had a very nice medium steak with an avocado, tomato and red onion salsa (with plenty of yum cow fat):



The tomatoes were courtesy of Macro Wholefoods and were very flavourful and yummy - but then at a dollar each they should have been! I still haven't found the middle ground of good food yet - it is either posh butchers selling 6 slices of bacon for $10 or being depressed in supermarkets, but I guess that is the trade-off for living right in the centre of the city.

3 comments:

nibblescribbler said...

Connie darling, you are a girl after my own heart (/stomach)...the lovely Annabel directed me towards your blog, as I am currently travelling the world (just about to leave Korea for Hong Kong then Vietnam). Though my blog is not 100% food focussed there are additional notes at the bottom for Food Fiends (read: Annabel Lewis) who I am ensnaring with my daring food exploits...

Was intrigued to see you enjoyed uni at Tsukiji! I struggled..but I did give it a 2nd chance...

Korea is proving UTTERLY divine , really truly I am experiencing some scrumptious tastebud tittilators (sp?). I will ensure I write them all down.

I will be taking your HK recommendation to heart...have a peek at mine if you need some inspiration of places to go/things to eat, unless you've got there before me! www.offexploring.com/alexia

big hugs and garlicky kisses,
Alexia xxxxxxxxxx

Connie said...

Hi Alexia, lovely to meet you! I'm sooooo jealous you are going to HK and Vietnam soon, I'm already plotting my next trips to both.

I will add a "HK favourites" list to my blog in your honour!

Have fun travelling!
Connie xx

nibblescribbler said...

A must for San Francisco, California: The Most Heavenly DimSum ever tasted

A restaurant called Yank Sing at The Old Post Office towards the piere in San Francisco.

Amongst the divine little dumplings you need to get a pork & ginger little round dumpling, twisted at the top so it has a swirl. You carefully lift it out of the bamboo basket with your chopsticks so as not to tear it, then you pick some slices of ginger out of the ginger/vinegar sauce (bright red). You then pour a tiny spoonful of the sauce over the dumpling spoon, and carefully puncture the dumpling so that the pork/ginger juices mix with the red vinegar, and eat.

Honestly, it is the best darn thing I have tasted this whole trip so far (and this is saying a lot).

xx