Monday, June 9, 2008

Past favourites

Here are some of my favourite food memories of the past few years before my little gap year:

1. Pho in Hanoi (co-starring Caris) - in some random backstreet which I shall probably never be able to find again, in probably the dirtiest place I've eaten in a while (think limes, chopticks, tissues all over the floor), but oh was this bowl of soup yummy. The stock had such depth, I've been trying to find somewhere that comes near ever since.

2. Tom Kha Gai (co-starring Yinne, Linus and Dan) - again, in some random backstreet which we discovered in what is otherwise quite nasty Phuket - the street was dirty, the chairs were plastic, but what a treat. We ate the same soup in a posher place a few days later and it just didn't have the backstreet charm.

3. Sole Meuniere at Garnier Restaurant, Paris (co-starring Dave) - I've been forever annoyed that I didn't actually order this, and Dave didn't let me eat much of it, this sole meuniere was served with a citrus sauce, very very very good. Opposite Gare Saint-Lazare, this will be the first place I go to next time I'm in Paris (hopefully soon).

4. Meat meat and more meat at New Tayyabs, London (co-starring Yamin, Fraser, Jude, Lerner, Annabel) - I lived within 10 minutes walking distance of this institution for 2 years before I visited, and god was I missing out. This time, helped by Yamin's connections, got a table without queuing! We greedily scoffed lamb chops, lamb kebab, chicken tikka, paneer, lamb korai, okra, all for about £20 each. Plus we had doggy bags :)

5. Hot Dogs in Copenhagen (co-starring Caris and Eugene) - we were all sorely disappointed with Copenhagen, very very expensive, very very cold, and the place we walked across town to eat at was closed! However, we did discover their hot dogs, served with about 5 different sauces, still not quite sure what they were...

6. Korean at Nara, London (co-starring Dave) - it became our tradition to come here and order way too much food and get laughed at by the skinny waitresses - a sashimi platter, yuk whe bibimbap, belly pork pokum, japchae, seafood pancake - a shame the shouty scary maitre d' woman has gone!

7. Sushi breakfast at Tsukiji Market, Tokyo (co-starring Caris and Gee) - I finally understood the appeal of o-toro and uni after this visit - so good that Caris and I went back 3 days later. I'm already planning my next visit. I kind of wish I never came, sushi everywhere else doesn't compare.

8. Taster menu at Morgan M, London (co-starring Dave) - we had both the food and wine taster menus, and rolled out of the place soooooo happy. Best dish was the red mullet with citrus sauce, and Dave even liked the gazpacho.

9. Beef Brisket Noodles at Kau Kee, Hong Kong (co-starring my greedy stomach) - undoubtedly my favourite food experience in the last 5 years, I have even dreamt about these noodles. Brisket has great texture, soup is sweet, noodles soaked through with soup yet still chewy - I don't care when skinny Honkie girls laugh at me as I scoff down 2 bowlfuls at a time.

I shall leave it at 9 - although people who work with me will understand my discomfort at leaving it at an odd number :)

No comments: