Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Good sushi, bad sushi

I was most excited when I arrived in Sydney to see Japanese food everywhere - there are 3 sushi bars in Wynyard Station alone.


Alas, this just means a proliferation of really quite bad food. Here is what I managed to buy with Uncle B's $35 dinner money:

It really shouldn't be possible to buy 21 pieces of sashimi and get a humungous chicken teriyaki for that price, and I discovered why when I tucked into the sashimi - the wasabi had a very funny smell, fish not fresh, and I committed a sashimi first for me by throwing some away! Yes, that bad.

However, Damian blessed us with a fantastic Japanese recommendation - Busshari on Macleay Street, Potts Point. Completely packed out even on a Wednesday night, and you can see why - the freshest sushi I've eaten for a while. Here is a very blurred photo of the dragon's roll (mmmmmm... unagi....)



The four of us chomped through a sushi platter, tempura platter, dragon's roll, soft-shell crab roll, melt in the mouth belly pork, sizzling wagyu beef - and best of all, this place is 10 mins walk from my house! I'd better make friends with the maitre d'...

No comments: