Thursday, April 16, 2009

COW

And yes, I did mean to do that post title in capital letters. You'll see what I mean in a minute.

Matthew is my exciting 'film reviewer' friend, and we've had a long standing arrangement where he takes me to preview screenings of new films in return for my taking him to dinner. Given that screenings normally happen in Soho, our favourites over the years have been Bodean's and Nara. However, Matthew pointed out there was a new place just opened on Poland Street called Cattle Grid, which sounded very up our street.

The inspiration behind Cattle Grid, according to the website, is to provide a straightforward, simple steak place, at not extortionate prices. They keep costs down by making you order at the counter, although there are waitresses floating around all over the place. It all reminded me of a GBK or Hamburger Union.

But it does deliver what it says on the tin. Prices are very reasonable - the most expensive thing on the menu was the T-Bone steak at £17, which comes with chips and a watercress salad. Matthew also went for some extra caramelised onions and 'real' gravy at £1 a pop:

The only other time that Matthew had tried T-Bone was when he did his great 'Steakhouse Experiment' - going to one of those Angus Steakhouse thingmes believing it really can't be that bad if so many tourists go there. But as you can guess, his instinct was proved right! However, this was a much better T-Bone experience. Matthew loved this, maybe helped by how enormous it was. On the slightly negative side, the real gravy became a bit 'not nice' after it'd cooled, and it looked a bit congealed.

I plumped for my usual rib eye (£13) and bearnaise sauce (£2):

It was very very excellent rib eye, very flavourful, and I hazard to say much better than the one I had at the Gaucho Grill the other week, with lots of fat running through it. The bearnaise sauce was a huge disappointment though - I know it is usual now for steak places to charge you for these 'extras', but £2 for a sauce that didn't taste of much doesn't work. The chips were also underseasoned, even for someone as salt-phobic as me.

Overall though, I was pretty impressed with the place. The question though is how long this place will survive. It is only a few doors down from the well established Bodean's, and it may just be a bit too similar to have both of these on the same street (as well as COW, they also have PIG in the form of ribs or a hog roast sandwich).

I guess there is the comedy fake cow statue outside to attract the punters. On the way home from the pub, we saw some very drunk people making good use of it!

No comments: