Thursday, April 16, 2009

Crack calamari!

One of the things you forget about London is that you can get whatever food you want, and usually to a very good standard. Having lived away from home for the last year or so, it's been really fun to revisit my old haunts, and remember just why I loved them so much in the first place.

I started going to Busaba Eathai with my crowd when I was studying at the LSE. One of us was actually Thai, and his girlfriend worked for Angela Hartnett, so he knew a thing or two about food. He always raved about their pad thai with crab and green mango, and I've been a fan of the clean, delicious Thai food ever since. I'm also glad to see that they've expanded quite cautiously, to the extent that there are only 3 in London, even though the one in Wardour Street has a permanent queue outside.

Today I went to the Store Street branch and was able to sit outside in the sun, so blissful! But what I ordered was probably not that suited to the weather. I really should come here more often, because I always end up ordering the same thing over and over, but given that this was my first visit in probably a year, I stuck to my favourites.

First up is what is affectionately known to my GU foodie friends as crack calamari, or if you want the proper name, Thai calamari with ginger and peppercorns. It's not that pretty, but it is very addictive, mainly because there is quite a sugary coating with caramelises when the squid is deep-fried.

My dining companion was a vegetarian, so didn't have any, so I ended up taking most of it home in a (very stylish Busaba homemade) box, and I've been munching on them all afternoon.

The other thing I always have is Busaba's take on tom kha gai, the aromatic coconutty soup. They serve it with glass noodles, and they give you a whole chicken thigh that has obviously been chargrilled (with skin left on!! woo!):

I really need to sneak into their kitchens and figure out how to make this - I have tried to recreate it at home, but their way with chicken is oh so very special. Or maybe it's the full fat coconut milk they use. Mmmm.

The only slightly alarming thing this is that I've just rechecked the menu, and this appears to have rocketed in price. It is still very reasonable at £10.60 a serving, but I do remember paying less than £7 for it not that long ago (or am I getting very old now??)

No comments: